Thursday, January 8, 2009

Writing tips from Cory Doctorow

Brilliant article from Cory Doctorow about writing in the age of distraction. Every word is pure gold, savour it!

I am a serial offender in this respect: I used to insist on the right environment long before the internet was around to distract. Thus I would find myself having to wash up before I sarted to write because the washing up would distract me; doing the washing, dusting, hoovering before I could start even though I didn't worry about those things being undone when I wasn't writing.

I'd make tea, get food, warm up or cool down the house... it could easily take three or four hours to get everything set up, and then the slightest thing - a phone call, a noise from outside, the washing finishing - would distract me.

I realise now it is the discipline of doing a small amount every day that I should be focussing on, and hope to make myself do it.

Happy New Year!

No comments: